Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Cibo Specialty Foods Issues Nationwide Alert on Potential Botulism Risk Associated with Specific Lots from Eight Varieties of Dal Raccolto Brand Olives
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --March 6, 2007 -- Cibo Specialty Foods, a division of Colavita USA, L.L.C. of Linden, N.J., is voluntarily recalling the following olive products sold under the "DAL RACCOLTO" brand. Immediately stop using the product. Testing of the products in question has revealed that specific products had pH and water activity that exceed the levels necessary to control botulism. Therefore, with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Cibo Specialty Foods is recalling:
- DAL RACCOLTO "Italian Colossal Olives," Lot G062, packed in 4.18 lb. glass jars.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Natural Cerignola Olives," Lot G062, packed in 4.18 lb. glass jars.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Black Cerignola Olives, " Lots G009 & G066, packed in 2.5 kg tins.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Red Cerignola Olives," Lot G046, packed in 4.18 lb. glass jars.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Green Cerignola Olives," Lot G062, packed in 4.18 lb. glass jars.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Baresana Olives," Lot G198, packed in 11 lb. plastic tubs.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Nocellara Olives," Lots G216 & G217, packed in 11 lb. plastic tubs.
- DAL RACCOLTO "Calabrese Olives," Lot G198, packed in 11 lb. plastic tubs.
Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.
The items are packed in 4.18 lb., 2.5 kg, and 11 lb. -size containers, and are sold primarily to the foodservice trade (e.g. restaurants, restaurant distributors and other foodservice institutions). Any establishments or individual consumers that may have purchased any of these products should discard them immediately even though the product may appear to be normal. You cannot tell if the product harbors botulism by sight, taste or smell.
This recall is precautionary; there have been NO reported cases of botulism from these products.
Distribution of these products have been suspended as FDA and the company continue their investigation.
For further information about the recall, please contact Mickey Colombo, Sales Manager at Cibo Specialty Foods at (718) 967-6858, or Joseph R. Profaci, V.P. of Colavita USA at (908) 862-5454.