Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Sara Lee Food & Beverage Issues Precautionary Recall Alert for Select Bagels, Artisan Bread, English Muffins And Pita Bread in Arizona, California, Hawaii and Nevada
Alert pertains only to products baked at the company's Vernon, Calif., bakery; No consumer complaints have been received
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Downers Grove, IL -- September 14, 2005 -- Sara Lee Food & Beverage is voluntarily recalling as a precaution artisan breads, bagels, English muffins, garlic bread and pita bread produced at the company's Vernon, Calif., bakery and sold at grocery retailers or distributed to institutional customers in Arizona, California, Hawaii and Nevada because they may contain metal and plastic.
The company has not received any consumer complaints regarding these products. Sara Lee is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in undertaking this voluntary recall.
Only the following products are affected.
- Sara Lee, Stater Bros., Sunnyside, Country Farms, International Baking Company and Fry's fresh bagels. The packages are marked with use-by dates of Sept. 16 to 22. The bag closure tags will have the printed code "347 X 5 Sept 16" through "347 X 5 Sept 22."
- Sara Lee and Mr. Pita fresh pita bread. The packages are marked with use-by dates of Sept. 11 to 18. The bag closure tags will have the printed code "347 X 5 Sept 11" through "347 X 5 Sept 18."
- Sara Lee, Sun-Maid, Bay View, Rainbo, Western Family, Late Bake, Best Yet, Sunnyside, Van de Kamps and Albertsons fresh English muffins. The packages are marked with use-by dates of Sept.14 to 20. The bag closure tag will have the printed code "347 X 5 Sept 14" through "347 X 5 Sept 20."
- Sara Lee and Earth Grains fresh garlic bread. The packages are marked with use-by dates of Oct. 1 to 7. The bread closure tag will have the printed code "347 Oct 01 5" through "347 Oct 07 5."
- Alfaro's artisan breads and Sara Lee fresh Sourdough Round, Sourdough Loaf and 100% Whole Wheat Sourdough artisan breads. Also, Ralph's and Sara Lee breakfast breads. The packages are marked with use-by dates of Sept. 12 to 23. The bread bag closure tag will have the printed code "347 X 5 Sept 12" through "347 X 5 Sept 23."
- Bagels, dinner rolls, English muffins and pita bread shipped frozen to institutional foodservice customers. The affected products are shipped in cases with the Julian code 248 to 251 prefaced by the number 347. Affected cases will have the printed case codes of 347-248 through 347-251.
The retail products are being removed from store shelves, but some may remain in consumer possession. Consumers may return affected product to the store where it was purchased for a full refund. All retail and institutional foodservice customers are being notified, and arrangements for product retrieval will be made.
The recall applies only to products listed above, which are produced in Vernon, Calif. The recall does not apply to any other Sara Lee brand bread, including Sara Lee fresh Heart Healthy, Heart Healthy Plus, Delightful and Soft & Smooth breads.
Consumers who may have questions or concerns should call Sara Lee's toll-free consumer line at (800) 683-3466. The consumer line is available from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time.