Adcirca (tadalafil) 20 mg Tablets
Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER)
Concomitant Guanylate Cyclase (GC) Stimulators
- Do not use ADCIRCA in patients who are using a GC stimulator, such as riociguat ADCIRCA may potentiate the hypotensive effects of GC stimulators.
5 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
5.5 Visual Loss
- Physicians should advise patients to seek immediate medical attention in the event of a sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes. Such an event may be a sign of non–arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION), a cause of decreased vision, including permanent loss of vision, that has been reported postmarketing in temporal association with the use of all PDE5 inhibitors. Most, but not all, of these patients had underlying anatomic or vascular risk factors for development of NAION, including but not necessarily limited to: low cup to disc ratio (“crowded disc”), age over 50, diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, hyperlipidemia, and smoking. Based on published literature, the annual incidence of NAION is 2.5-11.8 cases per 100,000 in males aged ≥50 in the general population. An observational study evaluated whether recent episodic use of PDE5 inhibitors, as a class, typical of erectile dysfunction treatment, was associated with acute onset of NAION. The results suggest an approximate 2-fold increase in the risk of NAION within 1 to 4 days of PDE5 inhibitor use.
It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to the use of PDE5 inhibitors or other factors. Physicians should also discuss with patients the increased risk of NAION in individuals who have already experienced NAION in one eye, including whether such individuals could be adversely affected by use of vasodilators such as PDE5 inhibitors.
Patients with known hereditary degenerative retinal disorders, including retinitis pigmentosa, were not included in the clinical trials, and use in these patients is not recommended.
6 ADVERSE REACTIONS
The following serious adverse reactions are discussed elsewhere in the labeling:
- Hypotension [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]
- Visual Loss [see Warnings and Precautions (5.5) and Patient Counseling Information (17)]
- Hearing loss [see Warnings and Precautions (5.6)]
- Priapism [see Warnings and Precautions (5.8)]
NOTE: several deletion re: NAION in ADVERSE REACTIONS/Postmarketing Experience and in PPI