Resources for You
Avapro (irbesartan) Tablets
Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER)
7 DRUG INTERACTIONS
Dual Blockade of the Renin-Angiotensin System (RAS)
- ...text was added as the second paragraph...In most patients no benefit has been associated with using two RAS inhibitors concomitantly. In general, avoid combined use of RAS inhibitors.
- Lithium: Increases in serum lithium concentrations and lithium toxicity have been reported with concomitant use of irbesartan or thiazide diuretics. Monitor lithium levels in patients receiving Avapro and lithium.
- Concomitant use of potassium-sparing diuretics, potassium supplements, or salt substitutes containing potassium may lead to increases in serum potassium.
- Impaired renal function, including cases of renal failure, has been reported.
- Cases of increased CPK and rhabdomyolysis have been reported in patients receiving angiotensin II receptor blocker.