Resources for You
Torisel (temsirolimus) injection
Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) – June 2011
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Patients should be monitored throughout the infusion and appropriate supportive care should be available. Temsirolimus infusion should be interrupted in all patients with severe infusion reactions and appropriate medical therapy administered. A benefit-risk assessment should be done prior to the continuation of temsirolimus therapy in patients with severe or life-threatening reactions.
Interstitial Lung Disease
- Cases of interstitial lung disease, some resulting in death, occurred in patients who received Torisel.
- It is recommended that patients undergo baseline radiographic assessment by lung computed tomography scan or chest radiograph prior to the initiation of Torisel therapy. Follow such assessments periodically, even in the absence of clinical respiratory symptoms.
- It is recommended that patients be followed closely for occurrence of clinical respiratory symptoms. If clinically significant respiratory symptoms develop, consider withholding Torisel administration until after recovery of symptoms and improvement of radiographic findings related to pneumonitis. Empiric treatment with corticosteroids and/or antibiotics may be considered. Elderly Patients
- Based on the results of a phase 3 study, elderly patients may be more likely to experience certain adverse reactions including diarrhea, edema and pneumonia.