Biltricide (praziquantel) tablets
Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) – August 2010
- Concomitant administration with strong Cytochrome P450 (P450) inducers, such as rifampin, is contraindicated since therapeutically effective blood levels of praziquantel may not be achieved. In patients receiving rifampin who need immediate treatment for schistosomiasis, alternative agents for schistosomiasis should be considered. However, if treatment with praziquantel is necessary, rifampin should be discontinued 4 weeks before administration of praziquantel. Treatment with rifampin can then be restarted one day after completion of praziquantel treatment.
- Therapeutically effective levels of Biltricide may not be achieved when administered concomitantly with P450 inducers, such as rifampin.
- As Biltricide can exacerbate central nervous system pathology due to schistosomiasis, as a general rule this drug should not be administered to individuals reporting a history of epilepsy and/or other signs of potential central nervous systems involvement such as subcutaneous nodules suggestive of cysticercosis.
- Concomitant administration of rifampin, a strong P450 inducer, with praziquantel is contraindicated and must be avoided. In a crossover study with a 2-week washout period, 10 healthy subjects ingested a single 40 mg/kg dose of praziquantel following pre-treatment with oral rifampin (600 mg daily for 5 days). Plasma praziquantel concentrations were undetectable in 7 out of 10 subjects. When a single 40 mg/kg dose of praziquantel was administered to these healthy subjects two weeks after discontinuation of rifampin, the mean praziquantel AUC and Cmax were 23% and 35% lower, respectively, than when praziquantel was given alone. In patients receiving rifampin, for example, as part of a combination regimen for the treatment of tuberculosis, alternative agents for schistosomiasis should be considered. However, if treatment with praziquantel is necessary, treatment with rifampin should be discontinued 4 weeks before administration of praziquantel. Treatment with rifampin can then be restarted one day after completion of praziquantel treatment.
- Concomitant administration of other drugs that increase the activity of drug metabolizing liver enzymes (P450 inducers), for example, antiepileptic drugs (phenytoin, phenobarbital and carbamazepine), and dexamethasone, may also reduce plasma levels of praziquan
Post Marketing Adverse Events Reports