From the U.S. House of Representatives Downloadable U.S. Code
[Laws in effect as of January 5, 1999]
TITLE 42 - THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE CHAPTER 6A - PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE SUBCHAPTER XIX - VACCINES
Part 2 - National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program subpart d - general provisions
Sec. 300aa-33. Definitions
For purposes of this part:
(1) The term ''health care provider'' means any licensed health care professional, organization, or institution, whether public or private (including Federal, State, and local departments, agencies, and instrumentalities) under whose authority a vaccine set forth in the Vaccine Injury Table is administered.
(2) The term ''legal representative'' means a parent or an individual who qualifies as a legal guardian under State law.
(3) The term ''manufacturer'' means any corporation, organization, or institution, whether public or private (including Federal, State, and local departments, agencies, and instrumentalities), which manufactures, imports, processes, or distributes under its label any vaccine set forth in the Vaccine Injury Table, except that, for purposes of section 300aa-28 of this title, such term shall include the manufacturer of any other vaccine covered by that section. The term ''manufacture'' means to manufacture, import, process, or distribute a vaccine.
(4) The term ''significant aggravation'' means any change for the worse in a preexisting condition which results in markedly greater disability, pain, or illness accompanied by substantial deterioration of health.
(5) The term ''vaccine-related injury or death'' means an illness, injury, condition, or death associated with one or more of the vaccines set forth in the Vaccine Injury Table, except that the term does not include an illness, injury, condition, or death associated with an adulterant or contaminant intentionally added to such a vaccine.
(6)(A) The term ''Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines'' means the Commission established under section 300aa-19 of this title.
(B) The term ''Vaccine Injury Table'' means the table set out in section 300aa-14 of this title.
(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title XXI, Sec. 2133, as added Pub. L. 99-660, title III, Sec. 311(a), Nov. 14, 1986, 100 Stat. 3778.)