• Decrease font size
  • Return font size to normal
  • Increase font size
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Radiation-Emitting Products

  • Print
  • Share
  • E-mail

What documentation should I get when a patient, or an individual acting on the behalf of the patient, or the patient's physician requests the release of the patient's records? How long should I keep the documentation?

Policy Guidance Help System logo

Facilities should request that patients, physicians, or individuals acting on behalf of patients sign a release form, or submit a written release request; however, if the facility chooses to accept oral transfer requests, a notation should be made in a log. Other documentation may also be possible. Facilities must keep this documentation for the same 5/10 years as they are required to keep the original records. Facilities should check to see if State or local laws related to release of records require additional documentation.

Back to Transfer of Records