Blood Products Advisory Committee Meeting – March 14-15, 2002
II. Discussion on Percutaneous Exposure of Blood and Plasma Donors: Tattoos, Acupuncture and Body Piercing
List of Reprints
1. Miriam J. Alter, PhD; Patrick J.Coleman, PhD;W. James Alexander, MD., et al. Important of Heterosexual Activity in the Transmission of Hepatitis B and Non-A, Non-B Hepatitis, JAMA, September 1, 1989, Vol. 262, No. 9, pp.12-1-1205.
2. John M. Kaldor, Gordon T. Archer, Margaret L. Buring, et al. Risk factors for hepatitis C virus infection in blood donors: a case-control study. The Medical Journal of Australia, Vol 157, August 17, 1992.
3. Lester B. Mayers, MD; Daniel A. Judelson, BS; Varry W. Moriatry, ATC; Kenneth W. Rundell, PhD. Prevalence of Body Art (Body Piercing and Tattooing) in University Undergraduates and Incidence of Medical Complications. Mayo Clin Proc. 2002; 77:29-34.
4. Margaret Oot Hayes, BSN; Gail A. Harkness, DrPh, FAAn. Bodoy Piercing as a risk factor for viral hepatitis: An integrative research review. Am J Infect Control 2001;29:271-4.
5. Ranga Balasekaran, M.D., Marc Bulterys, M.D., Ph.D., M. Mazen Jamel, M.D., et al. A Case-Control Study of Risk Factors for Sporadic Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the Southwestern United States. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol. 94, No. 5, 1999.
6. Robert W. Haley, R. Paul Fischer. Commerical Tattooing as a Potentially Important Source of Hepatitis C Infection. Medicine, Vol. 80, No. 2, 134-51, 2001.
7. Cathy Conry-Cantilena, M.D., Mark VanRaden, M.A., Joan Gibble, M.D. et al. Routes of Infection , Viremia, and Liver Disease in Blood Donors Found to Have Hepatitis C Virus Infection. N Engl J Med 1996; 334:1691-6.
8. M.C. Samuel, P.M. Doherty, M. Bulterys, S. A. Jenison. Association between heroin use, needle sharing and tattoos received in prison with hepatitis B and C positivity among street-recruited injecting drug users in New Mexico, USA. Epidemiol. Infect. (2001), 127, 475-484.
9. Edward J. Murphy, Stephen M. Bryzman, Simone A. Glynn, et al. Risk Factors for Hepatitis C Virus Infection in United States Blood Donors. Hepatology, 2000;31:756-762.
10. Ann L. Silverman, M.D., Jatinder S. Sekhon, M.D., Steven J. Saginaw, M.D., et al. Tattoo Application Is Not Associated With an Increased Risk for Chronic Viral Hepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:1312-1315.
11. Tattooing and HCV: Flying in the fact of accumulated wisdom. Hepatitis Control Report, Volume 6, Number 1, Spring 2001.
12. Dian-Xing Sun, Fu-Guang Zhang, Yun-Qin Gen, De-Sheng XI. Hepatitis C. Transmission by cosmetic tattooing in women. The Lancet, Vol. 347, p. 541, February 24, 1996.