News & Events
FDA NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: Aug. 25, 2009
Media Inquiries: Kathleen K. Quinn, 301-796-4617, Kathleen.Quinn@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA
FDA Moves Forward on Implementation of Tobacco Law
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced an action regarding the implementation of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. The Agency has officially created the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee (TPSAC).
The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee is tasked with providing advice, information, and recommendations to the Commissioner of Food and Drugs on health and other issues relating to tobacco products. The committee will be asked to consider a variety of topics including:
- identifying the effects of the alteration of the nicotine yields from tobacco products;
- reporting on the impact of the use of menthol in cigarettes on the public health; and
- advising on an application for modified risk (use of descriptors such as “light”) tobacco product.
The TPSAC will consist of 12 members, including the Chair to be selected by the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, from among experts knowledgeable in the fields of medicine, medical ethics, science, or technology involving the manufacture, evaluation or use of tobacco products. There will be nine voting and three non-voting members. Of the nine voting members, seven will be health care professionals practicing in the area of oncology, pulmonology, cardiology, toxicology, pharmacology, addiction, or any other relevant specialty. One member will be an officer or employee of a state or local government or the federal government, and the final member will be a representative of the general public.
The three non-voting members will be identified with industry interests. These members will include one representative of the tobacco manufacturing industry, one representative of the tobacco growers, and one representative of the small business manufacturing industry.
Three related Federal Register documents are on display today and being published tomorrow; one announces the establishment of the new advisory committee, one requests nominations for voting members to serve on the committee, and one requests nominations for non-voting members.
For further information please access the following link and then scroll to Food and Drug Administration.
Update: The Federal Register documents are now available:
- Request for Nominations for Voting Members on a Public Advisory Committee; Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee
- Advisory Committee; Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee; Created
- Request for Notification From Industry Organizations Interested in Participating in the Selection Process for a Nonvoting Industry Representative on the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee and Request for Nominations for a Nonvoting Industry Representative on the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee