Information for Patients
Recommendations for patients considering hernia repair:
- Before Surgery
- After Surgery
- Some questions you should ask your surgeon about surgical mesh for hernia repair
All medical devices and procedures carry certain benefits and risks. You should discuss your situation with your surgeon to determine your best option for hernia repair, including non-surgical and surgical options.
When discussing your options for hernia repair with your doctor, some questions you should ask include:
- What type of hernia do I have?
- What treatment options do you recommend for my hernia?
- What are the nonsurgical and surgical treatment options?
- What types of things should I consider in the decision to have surgery now or to wait?
- Why are you recommending a particular treatment option over another?
- What are the risks and side effects of this surgery?
- What is your experience with the recommended surgery?
- What is the anticipated outcome?
- What are my options for anesthesia?
- Will my surgery require a hospital stay?
- What medications should I stop taking before my operation and what medications may I need to take the day of my operation?
- Is there anything I should do to prepare for my operation?
- How long will the surgery take?
- How will I feel after surgery?
- Will I need pain medication?
- How much time should I allow for recovery?
- What kind of incision will I have?
- What is the chance my hernia will recur?
- Will my medical insurance cover all charges from you and the hospital?
- How should I care for my incision after surgery?
- When should I see you for follow-up care after surgery?
- What should I watch out for after my operation and when do I need to call you?
- When will I be able to return to my normal activities or to work? Can I drive?
- What is mesh?
- What is the mesh you will be using made of?
- What is the name of the mesh you will be using?
- In my case, is it possible to repair the hernia without mesh and if so, what is the expected risk/benefit.
- In my case, if you repair the hernia with mesh, what is the expected risk/benefit?
- Is there patient information that comes with the mesh product and if so, how can I obtain it?
- What is the risk for hernia recurrence? Pain? Infection? Other complications? Do these risks change depending on the type of mesh that you use?
- How does the operative approach you are recommending (e.g. open repair versus laparoscopic repair) affect how the mesh will be used?
- In the future if I require a repeat operation, what information should I tell my health care providers regarding the mesh that was used and where it was placed?
- Will the mesh show up or interfere with imaging tests such as X-rays, MRIs, CT scans?
- What is your rate of hernia recurrence with patients like me? With mesh, without mesh?