Reporting Problems with Infusion Pumps
If you suspect a problem with an infusion pump, we encourage you to file a report with FDA. Click here for examples of problems with infusion pumps.
Healthcare Professionals and Consumers:
We encourage you to file a voluntary report through MedWatch, the FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting program.
Manufacturers, Importers and Device User Facilities
Manufacturers, importers and device user facilities are subject to separate mandatory reporting requirements.
Prompt reporting of adverse events can help FDA identify and better understand the risks associated with medical devices.
What to Include in a Report:
To help us learn as much as possible about the adverse events or problems associated with infusion pumps, please include the following information, if available, in your reports:
- Details about the infusion pump failure or malfunction
- Any medication or fluids that were infusing at the time of the event
- If a new pump or another method of infusion had to be utilized in order to continue the infusion
- Any information displayed on the pump
- If an audible/visual alarm was generated
- Any relevant patient or user information including:
- If a medication had to be increased, decreased, or placed on hold
- If additional medication or fluid was administered as a result of an infusion pump issue
- If additional blood work or lab work had to be drawn as a result
- Changes in vital signs, etc.
If you have questions about Medical Device Reporting, including interpretation of MDR policy:
- Email: MDRPolicy@fda.hhs.gov
- Or write to: Food and Drug Administration
Center for Devices and Radiological Health
Reporting Systems Monitoring Branch
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
WO Bldg. 66, Room 3217
Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002
If you have any questions about the content of this website, contact the Division of Industry and Consumer Education (DICE)
Phone: 1(800) 638-2041 or (301) 796-7100
Press 1 to speak to the Consumer Team
Press 2 to speak to the Industry Team
Hours of Operation: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time