Update on Medical Device Appropriations - FY 2010 Budget (July 27, 2009)
- Both the House and Senate FY 2010 Appropriation Bills for FDA match the increases in budget authority and existing user fee authority requested in the President's FY 2010 Budget.
- For the total Device Program (CDRH and the Field), the FY 2010 funding level represents an increase of $34.7 M (or +12%) in budget authority over FY 2009.
- This amount includes $4.9 M in Pay to support cost of living increases.
- This amount also includes $29.9 M to support:
- Safer Drug, Devices, and Biologics activities
- Implementation of provisions of FDAAA
- Strengthening science capacity in the areas of nanotechnology, genomics and personalized medicine.
- The total FY 2010 Budget Authority request provides ongoing support for CDRH initiatives that include:
- Critical Path
- Increased Pediatric Device Availability
- Action Plan for Import Safety (APIS)
- The FY 2010 budget includes $57.0 M in total MDUFA user fee authority for the Agency. This FY 2010 authority level provides an additional $3.9 M for CDRH's medical device review program to support staff increases and ensure ongoing improvement in the review process.
- Neither the House nor the Senate draft bills fund any of the proposed user fees in the President's FY 2010 Budget.