Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement, and Criminal Investigations
Sample Schedule 7: CANNED FRUIT - FILL OF CONTAINER - AUTHENTIC PACK
Collect samples only on a specific assignment or during inspections when it appears that the firm is not filling the containers to capacity.
- INVESTIGATIONAL SAMPLES: Authentic Pack Preparation. Procedure for preparing authentic factory packs.
- Remove 72 cans, 3 at a time, from packing line after fruit has been added and before syruping.
- Mark 24 cans with the sub numbers A-1, A-2, A-3, etc.; 24 cans with sub numbers B-1, B-2, B-3; and 24 cans with sub numbers C-1, C-2, C-3, etc. See IOM 18.104.22.168.
- Drain water from the "B" subs by inverting each can for 10 seconds, holding the fruit so it doesn't fall out.
- Obtain gross weight of each can and record data for each series of sub on 3 separate FDA-485 - Field Weight Sheets.
- Add additional fruit of the same kind and style to the "C" subs until the cans are filled to capacity. Do not tamp the contents or crush the fruit.
- Record the number of fruit pieces added where the size of the fruit makes the procedure reasonable. Do not make time consuming counts of small pieces of fruit or berries.
- Obtain the gross weight of the "C" subs after additional fruit is added and record on "C" series Field Weight Sheet.
- Return all 72 cans to the filling line for syruping, exhausting, sealing, etc. in normal cannery operation.
- Remove cans after cooking and cooling.
- Identify cans with a single INV Sample number.
- Attach FDA-485 - Field Weight Sheets to C/R.
- OFFICIAL SAMPLES
See Sample Schedule Chart 2 for sample size.
- SPECIAL REPORTING AND PRECAUTIONS
- Report coding of cans and shipping cases.
- Obtain label specimen(s) for the slack filled products.
- Report shipments made before the inspection or since previous inspection in the same canning season.
- Do not prepare Authentic Factory Samples when the cannery is packing for USDA fill-of-container certification unless:
- USDA inspection is not continuous.
- USDA Certification is for quality only.
- USDA recommendations for weights are not being followed.
- SAMPLE SUBMISSION
Submit samples to your district's designated workplan servicing laboratory