Shipment of Samples and Documents to San Juan
April, 3 1995
To provide criteria and procedures for shipping samples and documents to San Juan.
Because San Juan is located outside the continental United States, the district has encountered problems with the receipt of samples and documents. This results in duplication of effort and delays.
When shipping samples or documents to San Juan, the procedures to be used are as follows:
- Order of carrier preference:
(If an emergency shipment requires weekend delivery, Express Mail should be used with pickup at the airport Express Mail office which is open 7 days per week.)
- Include the San Juan district office physical address on any documents:
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
San Juan District Office
466 Fernandezz Juncos Avenue
Puerta de Tierra
San Juan, PR 00901-3223
The package should be clearly labeled as "U.S. Government Shipment"; otherwise, it may be delivered first to the tax office of the local government to assess for taxes due, which can cause considerable delays in delivery.
- Packages should not exceed 70 lbs. in weight and 120 inches in length and girth combined.
- If a sample is packed dry ice or wet ice, it should be so noted on the outside of the package.
- When you call to arrange for pickup, inform the carrier that San Juan is the destination of the shipment. The driver will provide an International Airbill and assistance in completing this form.
- In the event that the commercial value of a shipment exceeds $500, one copy of the Shipper's Export Declaration (Department of Commerce Form 7525V) must be provided. These forms are available in all Post Offices located in major cities.
- Ship at the beginning of the week (Monday/Tuesday) whenever possible to avoid weekend holdovers.
- Notify San Juan district, by telephone or EMS, of the date and time of shipment so that an expected arrival time may be determined. The appropriate numbers are as follows:
San Juan District Office Telephone Number (809)729-6948
San Juan District Laboratory Telephone Number (809)729-6853
- Any important postal shipment including large envelopes and packages should be clearly marked "AIR MAIL" or "FIRST CLASS MAIL."