8-8 - PRESS RELATIONS
The Office of Public Affairs is responsible for issuing publicity and preparing answers to press inquiries about emergencies. OPA, in cooperation with the appropriate center and other Agency components, will:
- Prepare and approve all talk papers and press releases;
- Provide guidance to the lead and investigating districts concerning the handling of local press inquiries;
- Notify the department of pending media coverage;
- Coordinate with the press operations of other agencies involved in an emergency;
- Counsel FDA management about necessary public statements; and
- Provide all Associated Press and United Press International wire copy about emergencies to EOC.
The OPA should be notified by any FDA unit that publicity has occurred relating to the emergency condition, as well as pending requests for information from the media and/or public. The Director or his Deputies of the OPA may communicate directly with the officials closest to the scene to ascertain what information needs to be released.