OP Standards Implementation Staff Director
Additional Roles & Responsibilities:
PFP National Standards Work Group
PFP Audit Work Group
MFRPS SME for Standard 2
Regional Milk Specialist/Dairy Steering Committee
Shellfish Steering Committee
Directors of Cooperative Programs Steering Committee
Tim Weigner currently serves as the Director for the FDA Office of Partnerships, Standards Implementation Staff, bringing more than 30 years of experience in food science and technology, food defense, and emergency response management. Tim manages a staff of 7 providing support to states implementing or considering implementation of the Manufactured Food Regulatory Program Standards, as well as support for State cooperative program areas. He has served as a training officer with the FDA Division of Human Resource Development providing development and delivery of regulatory inspection programs for manufactured foods. Prior to coming to FDA, he served as a Food Defense Analyst with the USDA Food Safety Inspection Services, and formerly as the Director for Advance Programs with the Uriah Group, developing and delivering seminars, workshops, tabletop exercises, and games for the food and agriculture sector, sporting venues, and federal/state/local government coordination preparedness programs.
Tim Weigner spent 6+ years working at the Food Marketing Institute (FMI) as the Senior Director for Food Safety Programs for the Food Marketing Institute in Washington, DC managing and coordinating food safety and educational programs for FMI 2,300 worldwide members. He represented FMI on various food safety, defense, and education committees including:
- FMI SuperSafeMark Food Protection Manager Certification Program.
- Conference for Food Protection Food Manager Training, Testing and Certification Committee.
- Conference for Food Protection Facility Plan Review Committee.
- NSF International Food Safety & Quality Advisory Council.
- Project manager and contributing author for various research projects on Listeria monocytogenes, best practices and controls for E. coli O157:H7 in meat and vegetable products, retail HACCP management systems, and supplier source specifications and standards.
- National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC), and other recognized critical infrastructures and their corresponding Information Sharing Analysis Centers (ISACs).
- Retail food industry lead liaison with the ISAC Council, USDA Office of Inspector General (OIG), FDA Office of Criminal Investigation (OCI), US Borders and Customs, and the former US Department of Commerce Infrastructure Assurance Office (CIAO).
Tim Weigner’s career also includes 20 years of services in the U.S. Army Veterinary Services as a Veterinary Services Warrant Officer specializing in food safety and quality assurance programs, and nuclear/biological/chemical defense and protection.
Prior to joining the industry and federal government, Tim served in military in the U.S. Army Veterinary Services for 20 years before retiring as a Chief Warrant Officer specializing in food safety and quality assurance programs. His unique and diverse assignments worldwide include:
- Food Safety Consultant for the Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, orchestrating a major reengineering of the Army Preventive Medicine worldwide food safety program through utilization of recognized science, HACCP concept, and the FDA Model Food Code as its foundation.
- Training Officer with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration State Training Branch specializing in Risk Communication, Food Code and HACCP-based retail food safety and sanitation program.
- Food Safety Project Officer for the Office of the Surgeon General, U.S. Army.
- Chief, Food Safety Branch, Ft. Belvoir, VA.
- Instructor with the U.S. Army Veterinary Science Division, U.S. Army Academy of Health Sciences, Fort Sam Houston, TX.
Tim Weigner has a B.S. in Food Science & Technology with emphasis in Food Processing and Engineering, and Dairy Manufacturing from the University of Wisconsin, River Falls.