For Federal, State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Officials
DFSR D&I Branch Staff Bios: Angela Kohls
CSO Standard Specialist
DFSR D&I branch Roles & Responsibilities:
Assigned States: Kansas, Colorado, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah
MFRPS SME for Standards 7 & 4
- Joined FDA Division of Federal State Relations – December 2010
- Consumer Safety Officer – Title: Manufactured Food Regulatory Program Specialist in the DFSR Development and Integration Branch (D&I Branch).
- Provides food regulatory program leadership support to state programs and federal partners and enhances federal-state communication and collaboration to facilitate state conformance with food regulatory standards towards a fully integrated food safety system.
- Working in DFSR to further develop the Manufactured Food Regulatory Program Standards and outreach program as part of FDA’s on-going initiative towards federal-state integration.
- Serving as deliverable lead for Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) 201 Section 421(a)(2)(E); Reliance on Federal, State, and Local inspections. Participates on FSMA deliverable team 205(c)(1)(C); Capacity to carry out inspections and enforce safety standards.
Prior to FDA
- Kansas Department of Agriculture – Inspection Supervisor
- Monitored implementation progress of the Manufactured Food Regulatory Program Standards; supervision of inspection staff performing inspections in food service establishments, retail food stores, manufactured food plants and lodging facilities; provide guidance, consultation, and interpretation of program policies; provided guidance to staff during program transfer from Kansas Department of Health and Environment to Kansas Department of Agriculture.
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment – Program Director, Contract County Manager, Supervisor, Food, Drug and Lodging Surveyor I
- Oversee the day to day program duties; supervision of field supervisors and office staff; prepare and monitor annual budget; prepare and deliver testimony to the KS Legislature. Oversight of inspection staff in seven contract counties; annual review of contract for completion of deliverables; conduct standardization of staff. Supervision of field staff in region of the state; training of new inspection staff. Annual inspections of establishments in assigned territory.
- Junction City Geary County Health Department – Food Service Inspector
- Annual inspection of food service establishments in a seven county area; monitor inspection contract for completeness.
BS Extension – Kansas State University
Additional Training and Experience
Numerous FDA Training Courses; Certified Professional Food Safety certification from NEHA; MCAFDO Board Member and Officer; AFDO Board Member; AFDO Secretary/Treasurer; Member of the Clovia Alumni Board; Officer of Clovia Alumni Board; Member of Northview Elementary Site Council; President of Northview Elementary Site Council; Graduate of Kansas Department of Health and Environment Public Health Certificate course.