Icy Hot Heat Therapy Products Recalled
Chattem, Inc. recently announced a voluntary nationwide recall of its Icy Hot Heat Therapy products, including consumer "samples" that were included on a limited promotional basis in cartons of its 3 oz. Aspercreme® product.
Chattem is recalling these products because it has received reports of first, second, and third-degree burns, as well as skin irritation.
All lots and all sizes of the following Icy Hot Heat Therapy products are affected by this recall:
- Icy Hot Heat Therapy Air Activated Heat—Back
- Icy Hot Heat Therapy Air Activated Heat—Arm, Neck, and Leg
- Icy Hot Heat Therapy Air Activated Heat—Arm, Neck, and Leg, single consumer use "samples" included on a limited promotional basis in cartons of 3 oz. Aspercreme Pain Relieving Creme
This recall only involves the products listed above and does not involve any other Icy Hot or Aspercreme products.
Advice for Consumers
- Stop using the recalled Icy Hot Heat Therapy products immediately and discard them or return them to Chattem, Inc.
- Return products for a full refund by calling Chattem’s Consumer Affairs Department at 1-877-742-6275 (M-F from 8am to 4pm EST) or by visiting the company's website at www.Chattem.com.
- Report any adverse reactions experienced with Icy Hot Heat Therapy products to Chattem at 1-877-742-6275 and to FDA's MedWatch program.
This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.
Date Posted: February 19, 2008
For More Information
Questions and Answers on Chattem, Inc. Icy Hot Heat Therapy Air Activated Heat-Back, Icy Hot Heat Therapy Air Activated Heat- Arm, Neck, and Leg Chattem Issues URGENT Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Icy Hot® Heat Therapy™ Products[ARCHIVED] FDA 101: Product Recalls - From First Alert to Effectiveness Checks[ARCHIVED]