Educator Tools - Slides/Talking Points - Prevention - Step 1 Clean
|Everything you need to conduct a food safety presentation for pregnant women.|
Food Safety for Moms-to-Be
Prevention — Step 1
- Wash hands with warm water and soap
- Wash surfaces and utensils with hot water and soap
- Thoroughly rinse fruits and vegetables under running water
Clean is your first step in safe food handling! It’s simple, but very critical.
Here’s how to do it properly: (Demonstrate as you discuss)
Wet your hands and add soap. Here’s an important step . . .
- Scrub hands, wrists, fingernails, and in between fingers — for at least 20 seconds. Anyone know how to estimate 20 seconds? (Discuss — sing “Happy Birthday” two times)
- Rinse, then dry with a clean cloth towel or use a paper towel and throw the germs away.
Here’s when to wash your hands . . .
- Before and after handling food
- After using the bathroom, changing diapers, or handling pets
- To prevent harmful bacteria from spreading from surfaces to your food, wash cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and countertops after preparing each food item and before going on to the next food.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse fruits and vegetables under running water before eating them to wash away any bacteria.