Vibrio Vulnificus Health Education Kit - Spicy Oyster Soup
This document also available in Spanish (Español)
|16 each||oysters, shucked|
|1/4 cup||olive oil|
|1 each||chopped, small onion|
|1 tablespoon||minced, garlic|
|2 each||chopped, ribs of celery|
|1 each||chopped, carrot|
|2 each||chopped, potatoes|
|1 each||8 oz. can tomato sauce (salsa de el pato)|
|1 each||chopped, tomato|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Purchase oysters from a reputable vendor. Make sure they are completely closed shut. If an oyster shell is open discard.
- Clean oysters thoroughly with water and scrub them with a brush so they are free of sand or dirt.
- Shuck the oysters with a knife and rinse oyster thoroughly with water to clean any sand or dirt.
- Using a one-gallon soup pot, bring oil to the smoking point.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and potatoes and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Stir constantly so the vegetables are infused with flavor, not browned.
- Add the water and the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the shucked oysters, season with salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables become fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into 4 bowls and serve hot.
GARNISH: Fried tortilla chips or chopped cilantro and a wedge of lemon.