Vibrio Vulnificus Health Education Kit - Fried Oysters (recipe)
This document also available in Spanish (Español)
|16 each||oysters, shucked|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|For the batter:|
|½ cup||flour plus ¼ cup for dusting|
|½ teaspoon||baking powder|
|¼ teaspoon||cayenne pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||black pepper|
|For the dipping sauce:|
|2 tablespoons||lemon juice|
|1 tablespoon||tapatio sauce|
- Purchase oysters from a reputable vendor. Make sure they are completely closed shut. If an oyster shell is open discard.
- Clean oysters thoroughly with water and scrub them with a brush so they are free of sand or dirt.
- Shuck the oysters with a knife and rinse oyster thoroughly with water to clean any sand or dirt.
- Season oysters with ¼ cup of flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Dust the oysters in the flour mixture and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the batter mix ½ cup of flour, the baking powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Gradually add the water to the dry mixture to form the batter.
- In a two-quart saucepan add the oil and bring to a medium heat.
- Dip the dusted oysters into the batter and slowly fry them in the hot oil for 3 minutes or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Place the fried oysters on a plate lined with paper towels so it absorbs the excess oil. Keep the oysters hot.
- For the dipping sauce, add all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Arrange 4 fried oysters per plate with some of the dipping sauce. Serve hot.