June 26, 2014
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
U.S. Department of Agriculture
14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Wing 5 Entrance
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) held a public meeting on the following two proposed rules that appeared in the Federal Register on March 3, 2014:
- “Food Labeling: Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels”
- “Food Labeling: Serving Sizes of Foods That Can Reasonably Be Consumed At One-Eating Occasion; Dual-Column Labeling; Updating, Modifying, and Establishing Certain Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed; Serving Size for Breath Mints; and Technical Amendments.”
FDA discussed the proposed rules aimed at updating nutrition information and serving size requirements on the Nutrition and Supplement Facts labels to provide consumers with information that could be used to maintain healthy dietary practices.
The purpose of the meeting is for FDA to inform the public of the provisions of the proposed rules and the rulemaking process (including how to submit comments, data, and other information to both dockets), respond to questions about the proposed rules, as well as provide an opportunity for interested persons to make oral presentations.
For general questions about the meeting, contact: Juanita Yates, FDA, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, telephone: 240-402-1731, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Agenda (PDF: 140KB)
- Transcript (PDF: 408KB)
- WATCH a recording of the meeting
- Federal Register Notice
- Fact Sheet on the Proposed Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label
- Presentation: Overview of Proposed Rules to Update the Nutrition Facts Label (PDF: 134KB)
- Presentation: Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels (PDF: 234KB)
- Presentation: Serving Sizes (PDF: 420KB)
Please note the following important date:
- August 1, 2014: Closing date to submit either electronic or written comments to FDA’s Division of Dockets Management. For the Nutrition Facts Label Proposed Rule, see Docket No. FDA-2012-N-1210. For the Serving Size Proposed Rule, see Docket No. FDA-2004-N-0258.