May 28, 2014
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is announcing a public meeting on the following two proposed rules that appeared in the FEDERAL REGISTER on March 3, 2014:
- “Food Labeling: Revision of the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels”
- “Food Labeling: Serving Sizes of Foods That Can Reasonably Be Consumed At One-Eating Occasion; Dual-Column Labeling; Updating, Modifying, and Establishing Certain Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed; Serving Size for Breath Mints; and Technical Amendments.”
FDA will discuss the proposed rules aimed at updating nutrition information and serving size requirements on the Nutrition and Supplement Facts labels to provide consumers with information that could be used to maintain healthy dietary practices. The meeting will be held June 26, 2014, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm at the Jefferson Auditorium, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Wing 5 Entrance, Washington, DC.
The purpose of the meeting is for FDA to inform the public of the provisions of the proposed rules and the rulemaking process (including how to submit comments, data, and other information to both dockets), respond to questions about the proposed rules, as well as provide an opportunity for interested persons to make oral presentations.
Public Meeting attendees are encouraged to register on-line to attend the meeting in person and via, live webcast or contact: Cindy de Sales, The Event Planning Group, LLC, 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 310, Bethesda, MD 20814, telephone: 240-316-3207, fax: 240-316-3201, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Early registration is recommended because seating is limited.
For general questions about the meeting and to request special accommodations due to a disability, contact: Juanita Yates, FDA, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, telephone: 240-402-1731, e-mail: email@example.com.
Registration and Additional Information:
Please note the following important dates:
- June 12, 2014: Closing date for request to make Oral Comment
- June 12, 2014: Closing date to request special accommodation due to a Disability
- June 20, 2014: Closing date for Registration
- August 1, 2014: Closing date to submit either electronic or written comments to FDA’s Division of Dockets Management. For the Nutrition Facts Label Proposed Rule, see Docket No. FDA-2012-N-1210. For the Serving Size Proposed Rule, see Docket No. FDA-2004-N-0258.