March 30, 2004
TO: All Regional Food and Drug Directors
Attn: Regional Milk Specialists
FROM: Milk Safety Branch (HFS-626)
SUBJECT: Endress and Hauser PROline Promag 50/53 H Electromagnetic Flow Measuring System
The Endress and Hauser Proline Promag 50/53 H Electromagnetic Flow Measuring System has been reviewed and found to comply with the applicable provisions of the Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO) when used as a flow-measuring system.
Compliance with the PMO is based upon construction, installation and operation as described in the Manufacturer's Manuals Proline Promag 50 Electromagnetic Flow Measuring System (#50097085 and #50097092) and Proline Promag 53 Electromagnetic Flow Measuring System (#50097083 and #50097092) and the following provisions:
- The Endress and Hauser PROline Promag 50/53 H Electromagnetic Flowmeter shall be installed in compliance with Appendix H. Pasteurization Equipment AND PROCEDURES, magnetic flow meter based timing systems for htst pasteurizers, including the criteria for COMPONEnTS and PLACEMENT OF COMPONEnTS of the PMO.
- The Endress and Hauser PROline Promag 50/53 H Electromagnetic Flowmeter shall be tested in accordance with the supplemental set-up instruction for Endress and Hauser sanitary flow meter series PROline Promag 50 H and 53 H for use in HTST or Aseptic Processing Systems according to the PMO. Upon installation, the configuration values will be documented by the manufacturer and maintained so that the operator and/or Regulatory Agency can verify these values. The Regulatory Agency should maintain a copy for their files. After the configuration values have been verified, the transmitter cover shall be reattached. Access to the electromagnetic flowmeter transmitter shall be restricted by the application of a regulatory seal.
- When installed, the magnetic flowmeter sensor and transmitter shall comply with all applicable test requirements in Appendix I. 11.2A-2E Magnetic Flow Meter Based Timing Systems Continuous Flow-Holding Time of the PMO. Access to the electromagnetic flowmeter senor shall be restricted by the application of a regulatory seal.
The technical information that was reviewed constitutes the Endress and Hauser PROline Promag 50/53 H Electromagnetic Flow Measuring System Engineering Design and Technical Construction File (EDTCF).
For additional information regarding this equipment please contact:
Industry Mgr. Food & Beverage
Endress & Hauser USA
FDA's review and acceptance of this piece of equipment does not constitute FDA endorsement or approval of the equipment. Any representation on a label or in printed literature citing or indicating as "FDA Approved" is false and misleading.
Copies of this memorandum are enclosed for distribution to Regional Milk Specialists, State Milk Regulatory Agencies and State Milk Sanitation Rating Officers in your region. This memorandum should be widely distributed to representatives of the dairy industry and other interested parties and will also be available on the FDA Web Site at http://www.fda.gov/Food at a later date.
If you would like an electronic version of this document prior to it being available on the CFSAN Web Site, please e-mail your request to Robert.Hennes@fda.hhs.gov.
Jonathan M. Gardner
FDA/MSB Milk Sanitation Officer
Quick Field Reference
Regulatory Sealing Diagram
Basic operation of Promag 50H (internal pushbuttons) and 53H (touch control)
Push buttons (2)
- Enter numerical values, select parameters
- Select different function groups within the function matrix
- Press and hold down +/- keys for longer than 3 seconds - Return directly to HOME position
Enter push button (3)
- Entry into the function matrix
- Save the numerical values you input or settings you change
Promag 50 H - Quick review of measured value and set maximum flowrate
The backlit, two-line liquid-crystal display shows measured values, dialog texts, error messages and information messages. The display as it appears when normal measuring is in progress is known as the HOME position (operating mode).
Upper display line: Shows primary measured values, e.g. volume flow in [gal/min] or in [%].
Lower display line: Shows supplementary measured variables and status variables, e.g. totalizer reading in [gallons], bar graph, measuring point designation
- To see current flow rate make sure display is in "Home position" - press and hold +/- buttons simultaneously for >3 seconds
- To view set maximum flow rate press "E" once and then scroll using "+" to "Current Output" then scroll using "E" to "Value 20mA"
Promag 53H - Quick review of measured value and set maximum flowrate
The display as it appears when normal measuring is in progress is known as the HOME position (operating mode).
- Main line shows primary measured values, e.g. volume flow in [gal/min, l/s].
- Supplementary line shows supplementary measured variables, e.g. totalizer No. 3 in [gallons / m3]
- Information line shows additional information on the measured variables, e.g. bar graph of the limit value reached by the volume flow.
- To see current flow rate make sure display is in "Home position" Press and hold +/- buttons simultaneously for >3 seconds
- To view the set maximum flow rate Press "E" once and then scroll using "+" to "Outputs". Press "E" once "Current output 1" press "E" once "configuration" scroll using "E" to "Value 20mA"
Note: The Transmitter Cover and Sensor Body must be sealed by the Regulatory Agency.