200 C. Street SW
Washington, DC 20204
DATE: August 16, 1999
TO: All Regional Food and Drug Directors
Attn: Regional Milk Specialists
FROM: Milk Safety Branch (HFS-626)
SUBJECT: ABB Kent-Taylor Commander 320 Differential Pressure Booster Pump Controller for Use or Continuous Flow Pasteurization and Aseptic Processing Systems
The ABB Kent-Taylor Commander 320 electronic digital differential pressure booster pump controller with LED displays has been reviewed and found to comply with the applicable provisions of the Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO). Compliance is based upon installation and operation in conformance with manufacturer specifications and include the following provisions:
- When installed the controller will comply with all applicable controls and test requirements outlined in the PMO section 16p, Appendix H and Appendix I.
- Compliance is based on use of a sanitary 4 to 20 mA pressure transmitter that is hard wired into the system. Removable terminal caps on the sensors shall be sealed by the regulatory agency.
- LED indicators on the C320 DPS replace the red and green lights referenced in PMO Appendix I, test 9.
- The C320 DPS is programmed using command instructions stored on an EPROM chip identified C320/2001, ISS4.
- Enclosed is a commander C320 configuration table reference which identifies basic values that will be found during set up and verification. Items of regulatory concern are identified with an asterisk (*). Pressure differential shall be set at least 1 psig.
- Configuration values are programmed by the manufacturer but are operator adjustable. They shall be set and verified on installation. Configuration values identified as a regulatory concern (*) and the EPROM chip identification shall be recorded and maintained by the plant and the regulatory agency. These will verified as a part of the required Appendix I tests by the regulatory agency.
- After configuration values are set the internal programming Jumper shall be removed. The instrument cover shall be sealed by the regulatory agency. (See attachment)
- The C320 DPS shall not contain a communication option.
- Do not include a filter option in configuration. This value shall be set at zero.
Descriptive material is attached for your reference. For additional information contact:
ABB Kent-Taylor, Inc.
P.O. Box 2550
Rochester, NY 14602-0550
ATTN: Steve Frate, US Marketing Manager
FDA's review of this equipment, and our findings of compliance, does not constitute agency endorsement or approval. Any representation on a label or in any printed literature as "FDA Approved" would be false.
Charles D. Price
Steven T. Sims
- Commander 320 Booster Pump Pressure Switch (pages CR-15, CR-16, 3 and 5)
- Commander 320 Dimension/Pressure Transmitter (pages CR-19/20)
- ABB Commander 320 Programming and Inspector Sealing
- Commander 320 Configuration Level 3.1
- Commander 320 Configuration Level – Section 3
- P880 Transmitter Regulatory Seal Placement