200 C. Street SW
DATE: September 19, 1996
TO: All Regional Food and Drug Directors
Attn: Regional Milk Specialists
FROM: Milk Safety Branch (HFS-626)
SUBJECT: ABB Kent-Taylor Magmaster Sanitary Magnetic Flow Meter with Transmitter
The ABB Kent-Taylor Magmaster has been reviewed as a stand alone flow meter and found to comply with the applicable provisions of the Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO) for continuous flow pasteurization and aseptic processing systems for milk and milk products. Compliance is based upon installation and operation in conformance with manufacturer specifications and the following provisions:
- The Magmaster flow meter shall be installed in compliance with the PMO criteria for COMPONENTS and PLACEMENT of COMPONENTS detailed in Appendix H, Magnetic Flow Meter Based Timing Systems for HTST Pasteurizers.
- The flow meter shall be piped in a manner that at least 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe exists, upstream and downstream of the flow meter.
- The transmitter options include a digital display for reading configurations. It will be necessary for the user to provide a lap top computer or other acceptable means of reading configurations if the digital display option is not utilized.
- Configuration values programmed by the manufacturer shall be verified on installation and when regulatory seals have been broken. Attached is a guide Magmaster Set-up and Configuration which include basic configuration values that will be found during verification. Items of regulatory concern are highlighted with an asterisk *. A record of these configurations will be maintained by the operator and a copy provided the regulatory agency.
- When installed the Magmaster flow meter and transmitter shall comply with PMO requirements including all test requirements (2A-2F) of test 11, Magnetic Flow Meter Systems of Appendix I, PMO.
Further information or copies of the material for this equipment may be obtained by contacting:
ABB Kent-Taylor, Inc.
P.O. Box 20550
Rochester, NY 14602-0550
Attn: Steve Frate, US Marketing Manager
FDA's review of this equipment and our findings of compliance with applicable PMO items does not constitute agency endorsement or approval and any representation of FDA "approval" is false.
Charles D. Price
Steven T. Sims
ABB Kent-Taylor Meter-based Timing System Brochure
Magmaster Set-up and Configuration Rod Howell, Page 4,