200 C Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20204
June 15, 1995
TO: All Regional Food and Drug Directors
Attn: Regional Milk Specialists
FROM: Milk Safety Branch (HFS-626)
SUBJECT: IZM Series Electromagnetic Flowmeter Software Version 2.2 Accurate Metering Systems, Schaumburg, IL
The IZM Electromagnetic Flowmeter contains a microprocessor based signal converter. The IZM Electromagnetic flowmeter, software version 2.2, has been found to comply with the intent of the applicable provisions of the Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance for HTST pasteurizing systems when installed and operated in accordance with manufacturers installation and operating instructions IM-IZM-0495 and the following provisions.
- The flowmeter shall be installed in compliance with the criteria for COMPONENTS and PLACEMENT OF COMPONENTS detailed in Appendix H..Magnetic Flow Meter Based Timing Systems for HTST Pasteurizers, Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO).
- The flowmeter shall be piped in a manner that at least 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe exists, upstream and downstream from the center of the flowmeter.
- The IZM software shall be tested in accordance with Installation and Operation Instruction IM-IZM-0594 Short Form provided by Accurate Metering Systems. A record shall be maintained at the flowmeter of established "checksum values" so the operator and/or regulatory agency can verify software values.
- Access to the flowmeter converter shall be restricted by the application of regulatory seals through the drilled cover bolts that are provided.
- When installed, the flowmeter shall comply with all PMO test 11 requirements (2A-2F) of the PMO for magnetic flow meters.
Copies of this memoranda are attached for distribution to state milk control agencies and state Milk Sanitation Rating Officers in your region. States desiring further information or copies of the materials concerning this equipment may contact:
Accurate Metering Systems, Inc.
1651 Wilkening Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173
(708) 882-0690 Fax (708) 882-2695
Attn: Bill Raymond
FDA's review of this dairy equipment and our findings that it is in compliance with the applicable items of the Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance does not constitute agency endorsement or approval and any representation on the label or in any printed literature that they are FDA "Approved" are false.
Steven T. Sims