FSMA Public Meeting Concerning Proposed Rules on Foreign Supplier Verification Programs and the Accreditation of Third-Party Auditors/Certification Bodies - Washington, DC
September 19, 2013
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
September 20, 2013
8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Omni Shoreham Hotel
2500 Calvert Street, NW (at Connecticut Avenue)
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the two proposed rules aimed at strengthening assurances that imported food meets the same safety standards as food produced domestically. The Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) proposal would establish requirements for importers to verify that their foreign suppliers are implementing the modern, prevention-oriented food safety practices called for by FSMA. The second proposed rule on the Accreditation of Third-Party Auditors/Certification Bodies would strengthen the quality, objectivity and transparency of foreign food safety audits on which many U.S. food companies and importers currently rely to help manage the safety of their global food supply chains. The meeting was also designed to solicit oral stakeholder and public comments on the proposed rules, inform the public about the rulemaking process (including how to submit comments, data and other information to the rulemaking dockets), and respond to questions about the proposed rules.
This was the first in a series of three public meetings FDA plans to hold on these FSMA proposed rules. The agenda format for all three meetings is the same.
For general questions about the meeting, contact: Juanita Yates, FDA, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, MD 20740, telephone: 240-402-1731, e-mail: Juanita.Yates@fda.hhs.gov.
- Meeting Agenda (PDF: 139KB)
- Transcript of Day 1 (PDF: 870KB)
- Transcript of Day 2 (PDF: 533KB)
- Video of Day 1
- Video of Day 2
- Presentation: Proposed Rule Accreditation of Third-Party Auditors/Certification Bodies* (PPT, 670KB)
- Presentation: Proposed Regulations for Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVPs)* (PPT, 640KB)
- Federal Register Notice for the Public Meeting
- Proposed Rule for Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP)
- Proposed Rule for Accreditation of Third-Party Auditors
* NOTE: The presentations are the versions presented at the October 22, 2013 public meeting held in Long Beach, CA.