FERN Structure Diagram (text version)
Description of the FERN Organizational Structure as seen in the Biennial Report to Congress on the Food Emergency Response Network (September 2011)
Top two left boxes (Executive Committee FSIS-FDA and (DHS Integrated Consortium of Laboratory Networks Advisory Group) provide input by dotted line to the FERN leadership.
Top central box: Directors and Deputy Directors from FSIS and FDA senior management lead FERN and provide input to the top right box Regional Coordination Centers Advisory Group that oversees the five Regional Coordination Centers listed at the far right (Central, Southeast, Northeast, Southwest and Pacific) which guide and coordinate the 172 Federal, State, and local laboratories of the network (not shown).
The FERN Directors (top central box) also direct the two FERN National Program Offices (FSIS in Athens, GA, and FDA in Rockville, MD) (central box, second row) which coordinate all the support programs managed by advisory and work groups, listed in the third row from the left:
- Proficiency Testing (PT) Advisory Group which manages the PT Work Group
- IT Advisory Group which manages two IT Work Groups for eLEXNET and Website
- National Training Conference Work Group
- Cooperative Agreement Programs Advisory Group which manages FDA and FSIS Cooperative Agreements
- Documentation and SOP Work Group
- Methods Work Group which manages Technical Review Committees
- Training Advisory Group which manages the Training Work Group.