Welcome to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Pesticide Monitoring Database for Fiscal Year 1997. The data files for downloading are either in dBase or ASCII text format; an explanation of each type is given below. Files must be downloaded for further use. No online search capability is available for these files.
A report based on the information in this database is also available.
The dBase (.dbf) files contain FDA's pesticide monitoring data as summary information. The dBase files come with a search program and report formats to enable the users to perform simple searches and generate reports. The search program and report formats will only work in dBase III+.
- The ASCII text file contains FDA's pesticide monitoring data as raw data for individual samples. To use this file, the user must develop a database structure into which the file can be imported. The structure of the raw individual sample data is considerably more complex than that of the summary files and requires greater familiarization and caution by the user to use the file properly
Information on the structure and content of both files, and on the search and report generation procedures, are described in the User's Manual.
PLEASE READ THE MANUAL BEFORE USING THE DATABASE.
The dBase database consists of three parts:
- Search program and report formats for use with the dBase files (detailed and summarized data files).
- Detailed data file that presents FDA regulatory monitoring coverage and findings for 1997 by country/samples flag/food product/pesticide combination. Sample flag is the classification as "surveillance" or "compliance."
- Summary data files that present an overview by country/sample flag/pesticide combination (without regard to product) and by country/sample flag/food product combination (without regard to pesticide).
The files are all provided as compressed executable files, which automatically decompress when you load them.
Search Program and Report Formats
Contains the search program and ten report formats files (18Kb)
(Persons who purchased previous versions of this database from National Technical Information Service may not need to download this file; use the file provided on the disks.)
Detailed Data Files
NOTE: To use only part of the data, combine (append) only those files of interest; final file must be named DATA1997.dbf. The combined four files contain 320,519 records. See User's Manual for directions for combining or for using only file(s) of interest.
- US1997.ZIP - Contains the detailed data by country/sample flag/food product/pesticide combination for the United States (487 Kb)
- IMFR1997.ZIP - Contains the detailed data by country/sample flag/food product/pesticide combination for imported fruits and nuts (797 Kb)
- IMVE1997.ZIP - Contains the detailed data by country/sample flag/food product/pesticide combination for imported vegetables and spices (900 Kb)
- IMOT1997.ZIP - Contains the detailed data by country/sample flag/food product/pesticide combination for other imported food products (370 Kb)
Summary Data Files
- CHEM1997.ZIP - Contains the summary file by country/sample flag/pesticide combination (263 Kb; 32,028 records)
- PROD1997.ZIP - Contains the summary file by country/sample flag/food product combination (34 Kb; 1,725 records)
For users who wish to examine the FDA pesticide monitoring data on an individual sample basis, the raw data for individual samples are provided as ASCII text file. User's Manual describes the structure and content of the file of individual sample data.
- SMPL1997.ZIP - Contains the raw individual sample data (476 Kb; 39,118 records)
- METH1997.ZIP - List the pesticides covered by each analytical method reported in the individual sample data (43 Kb; 13,538 records)
To report access problems, contact Fred Fry, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To comment on the Pesticide Monitoring Database content or request further information, contact Ronald Roy, email@example.com.