Bisphenol A (BPA)
On this page:
BPA (Bisphenol A) is a chemical used in certain food contact materials and first approved by FDA in the early 1960s. In recent years, concerns have been raised about BPA's safety. In August 2008, FDA released a draft report finding that BPA remains safe in food contact materials. On October 31, 2008, a subcommittee of FDA's science board raised questions about whether FDA's review had adequately considered the most recent scientific information available. On January 15, 2010 and again updated in March 2012 and March 2013, FDA issued an update on BPA, inlcuding FDA's perspective. For recommendations for the public, see Bisphenol A (BPA) Information for Parents on the Department of Health and Human Services Web site.
On October 28, 2008, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) submitted a citizen petition regarding BPA. The petition requested that the Commissioner of Food and Drugs:
- Issue a regulation prohibiting the use of BPA in human food and packaging, and
- Revoke all regulations permitting the use of any food additive that may result in BPA becoming a component of food.
On March 30, 2012, the FDA denied this request in accordance with 21 CFR 10.30(e)(3). In its response, the FDA stated that:
- The information provided in the citizen petition was not sufficient to persuade FDA to initiate this rulemaking.
- The most appropriate course of action at this time is to continue scientific study and review of all new evidence regarding the safety of BPA.
- Although FDA was not persuaded by the data and information in the NRDC citizen petition to initiate rulemaking to revoke the food additive approvals for BPA, FDA will continue in its broader and more comprehensive review of emerging data and information on BPA. Depending on the results, any of these studies or data could influence FDA’s assessment and future regulatory decisions about BPA.
Additional information from FDA about BPA and food contact substances
- Consumer Update: FDA Continues to Study BPA
March 30, 2012
Consumer Info About Additives & Ingredients Draft Assessment of Bisphenol A for Use in Food Contact Applications (PDF, 7.61 Mb) Draft Assessment of Bisphenol A for Use in Food Contact Applications - Full Reference List (PDF, 126 Kb)
Full reference list for BPA draft assessment
FDA Science Board Subcommittee Report on Bisphenol A (PDF, 147 Kb)
Scientific Peer-Review of the Draft Assessment of Bisphenol A For Use in Food Contact Applications
2008 Meetings of the Science Board to the FDA
FDA Science Board - Transcripts of September 16, 2008 meeting
FDA Letter to Science Board October 29, 2008 (PDF, 76 Kb) FDA Letter to Science Board December 3, 2008 (PDF, 334 Kb)
Other Official Assessments
Japan: National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology Risk Assessment Document (English translation) EFSA: Statement Dated 22 October 2008 Statement of EFSA on a study associating bisphenol A with medical disorders. NTP/NIEHS: Questions and Answers about BPA
Questions and Answers about National Toxicology Program's Evaluation of Bipshenol A
Norway: Assessment of Four Studies on Developmental Neurotoxicity of Bisphenol A (2008) EFSA: Scientific Opinion of the Panel on Food Addivites (September 2010)
Evaluation of a study investigating its neurodevelopmental toxicity, review of recent scientific literature on its toxicity and advice on the Danish risk assessment of Bisphenol A
- Joint FAO/WHO Expert Meeting
Expert meeting to review toxicological and health aspects of Bisphenol A and Stakeholder Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, 1-5 November 2010