This document also available in Spanish (Español)
16 each - oysters - shucked
1/4 cup - olive oil
1 each - chopped, small onion
1 tablespoon - chopped, garlic
1 each - chopped, jalapeño chili
1 cup - chopped mushrooms
2 cups - chopped, spinach
1/4 cup - whipping cream or milk
1/4 cup - shredded cotija cheese
- Purchase oysters from a reputable vendor. Make sure they are completely closed shut. If an oyster shell is open discard.
- Clean oysters thoroughly with water and scrub them with a brush so they are free of sand or dirt.
- Shuck the oysters with a knife and rinse oyster thoroughly with water to clean any sand or dirt.
- Clean oyster shells and arrange on a baking pan, set aside.
- In a sauté pan add the oil and cook onions, garlic, and jalapeño peppers for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, and spinach and cook for 5 minutes or until ingredients are very soft and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream or milk and reduce slightly.
- Add the cheese and combine thoroughly. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Using a spoon, place a very thin layer of the mushroom and spinach mixture in the oyster shells, top with an oyster, then another layer of the spinach and mushroom mixture until you have two layers completed.
- Sprinkle with cotija cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until oysters are light brown and reaches the temperature of 180 degrees.
- Serve hot and garnish with a lemon wedge.