Science and Our Food Supply
Free Supplementary Curriculum for Middle and High School Classrooms
. . . teach food safety in my science classes?!"
And a FREE supplementary curriculum for
Classroom Science Teachers
is available to help you do just that.
(Program At A Glance and Order Form available in PDF (154 KB))
CHECK IT OUT!
What captures the interest of students? FOOD! Yes, food can be used to engage students in inquiry-based science — really! The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in collaboration with the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) have created Science and Our Food Supply, an innovative, interactive supplementary curriculum for use in middle level and high school science classes. An advisory board of experienced teachers just like you developed and tested the materials.
|IT'S SCIENCE BEYOND THE TEXTBOOK|
|PROGRAM AT A GLANCE|
Science and Our Food Supply Teacher's Guide
(Separate guides for middle level and high school teachers)
- Challenging hands-on, minds-on activities that link food science and food safety to students' everyday lives
- Teacher-friendly modular format that covers food science from the farm to the table
- Easily fits into Biology, Life Science, or other science classes
- Fun, creative ways for presenting the lessons
- Fascinating, little-known food safety facts
- Features a savvy food scientist (Dr. X) and student (Tracy) who introduce and reinforce the science concepts in the activities and experiments
- Students will get the inside scoop on emerging microbes: how they live, grow, and s-p-r-e-a-d!
- Explores behind-the-scenes research in laboratories and the latest food safety technologies that affect the foods we eat
- Meet real-life scientists working in a variety of food science careers
- The most current, comprehensive food science information in an easy-to-use alphabetical format
- Need-to-know practices for handling, preparing, cooking, and serving food
- Insider interviews with real-life scientists
- Tips, fun facts, and answers to your most frequently asked food safety questions
This curriculum was guided by the National Science Education Standards and provides good connections to standards related to Personal Health and Social Perspectives, which are often missing in other science curricula.
FOOD SAFETY IS A HOT TOPIC!
Now you can teach important science concepts using the timely topic of food safety with Science and Our Food Supply. This new food safety science program for middle level and high school science classes is easy to incorporate into your curriculum.
Why Teach Food Safety?
Food safety has become an important national focus. Each year, approximately one third of the U. S. population has mild to severe illnesses caused by pathogens in food — and more than 5,000 people die from them.
Learning food safety science will enable your students to better understand decisions and practices that may affect their personal health. It will encourage them to step up to the plate and take an active role in preventing foodborne illness.
To order Science and Our Food Supply, go to the FDA/NSTA Online Order Form and submit the form electronically by pressing the submit button on the bottom of the form.
Thank you for your order.