Tools & Educational Materials
Food Defense 101 (including ALERT)
The food industry plays an integral part in protecting the nation’s food infrastructure. Food Defense 101 provides training in preparedness against an intentional attack against our food supply. The courses provide an understanding of and guidance for developing a Food Defense Plan(s) based on a common sense approach.
Food Defense Plan Builder
The Food Defense Plan Builder is a user-friendly software program designed to assist owners and operators of food facilities with developing personalized food defense plans for their facilities. This user-friendly tool harnesses existing FDA tools, guidance, and resources for food defense into one single application.
The Food Related Emergency Exercise Bundle (FREE-B) is a compilation of scenarios based on both intentional and unintentional food contamination events.
Employees FIRST is an FDA initiative that food industry managers can include in their ongoing employee food defense training programs. Employees FIRST educates front-line food industry workers from farm to table about the risk of intentional food contamination and the actions they can take to identify and reduce these risks.
See Something, Say Something™ Campaign
Documents highlighting indicators of suspicious activities and recommended protective measures for Food Service and Retail Food Establishments. Available in English, Spanish, and Chinese.
Vulnerability Assessment Software Tool
A prioritization tool that can be used to assess the vulnerabilities within a system or infrastructure in the food industry.
Mitigation Strategies Database
This new database is one of several tools developed by the FDA for the food industry to help protect our nation’s food supply from deliberate acts of contamination or tampering. It provides a range of preventive measures that companies may choose to implement to better protect their facility, personnel, products, and operations.
Workshops & Courses
- Food Defense Workshops & Meetings
- An Introduction to Food Security Awareness FDA/USDA
Web-based training available at Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) online university (ORA U).
- NACCHO Interactive Food Defense Workshop
April 17, 2012
- Vulnerability Assessment of Food Systems Final Summary Report, June 2009 - February 2012 (PDF - 676KB)
- Results of an FDA Study on Consumers’ Beliefs and Perceptions About Food Terrorism, 2010 (PPTM - 94KB)
- Summaries of Competitive Food Defense Research Reports, 2005
Other Useful Tools & Resources
- "Water Emergency Response Tool for Food Processors" - a tool to assist food processors and manufactures to be better prepared for a water shortage or water contamination emergency.