Emergency Preparedness and Response
Extramural Research Funding
Under the Medical Countermeasures Initiative (MCMi) extramural research component, FDA funds external organizations through its Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for the Advanced Research and Development of Regulatory Science.
- Developing, characterizing, and qualifying animal models for MCM development
- Modernizing tools to evaluate MCM product safety, efficacy, and quality
- Developing and qualifying biomarkers of diseases or conditions
- Enhancing emergency preparedness capabilities, including science response and risk communication
We are currently accepting BAA responses until February 20, 2015, 4:00 p.m. Eastern time.
MCM awards to date under the BAA
- Cross-Species Immune System Reference – Stanford University
- Organs-On-Chips for Radiation Countermeasures (example pictured above) – Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering
- Ensuring Appropriate Public Use of Medical Countermeasures through Effective Emergency Communication - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - UPMC Center for Health Security
Additional extramural awards
- Adverse Events Monitoring and Analysis Pilot Program - MITRE Corporation