Drugs

Nivolumab in combination with ipilimumab

 

On September 30, 2015, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration granted accelerated approval to nivolumab (Opdivo Injection, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company) in combination with ipilimumab for the treatment of patients with BRAF V600 wild-type, unresectable or metastatic melanoma.
 
Approval was based on demonstration of an increase in the objective response rate (ORR), prolonged response durations, and improvement in progression-free survival (PFS) in an international, multicenter, double-blind, randomized, two-arm, active-controlled trial in patients who were previously untreated for unresectable or metastatic, BRAF V600 wild-type melanoma.
 
The clinical trial randomized (2:1) 142 patients to receive nivolumab plus ipilimumab (n=95) or ipilimumab plus placebo (n=47). Randomization was stratified by BRAF V600 mutation status based on an FDA-approved test. Patients in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab arm received nivolumab 1 mg/kg and ipilimumab 3 mg/kg intravenously every 3 weeks for four doses, then nivolumab 3 mg/kg every 2 weeks until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients in the ipilimumab arm received ipilimumab 3 mg/kg and nivolumab-matched placebo intravenously every 3 weeks for four doses followed by placebo. At the time of disease progression, patients on the ipilimumab arm were offered nivolumab 3 mg/kg every 2 weeks.
 
Of the 109 patients with BRAF V600 wild-type melanoma, the median age was 66 years and ECOG performance score was 0 (84%) or 1 (15%). Forty-six percent had M1c disease and 20% had elevated baseline LDH.
 
The trial demonstrated a significant improvement in ORR. The ORR was 60% [95% confidence interval (CI): 48, 71] in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab group (n=72) and 11% [95% CI: 3, 25] in the ipilimumab group (n=37), an improvement in ORR of 49% (95% CI: 31, 61; p-value <0.001). Of the 43 patients with an objective response in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab group, 9 patients (21%) with response duration ranging from 3 to 7 months have progressed after response, died, or received subsequent therapy. The remaining 34 patients (79%) had ongoing responses at the time of final analysis; in 14 patients the duration of ongoing responses is at least 6 months but less than 9 months and in 20 patients the duration of ongoing responses is at least 9 months. In addition, there was a significant improvement in PFS for the combination group compared with the ipilimumab group [HR 0.40 (95% CI: 0.22, 0.71); p-value < 0.002] with an estimated median PFS of 8.9 and 4.7 months in the nivolumab plus ipilimumab and ipilimumab groups, respectively.
 
Among the 140 patients with BRAF V600 wild-type or mutation-positive melanoma who received at least one dose of nivolumab or ipilimumab, serious adverse reactions (62% vs. 39%), adverse reactions leading to permanent discontinuation (43% vs. 11%) or dose delay (47% vs. 22%), and grade 3 or 4 adverse reactions (69% vs. 43%) all occurred more frequently in patients receiving the combination (n= 94) compared with those receiving single-agent ipilimumab (n=46). The most frequent serious adverse reactions in patients receiving the combination were colitis (17%), diarrhea (9%), pyrexia (6%), and pneumonitis (5%). Additional clinically significant immune-mediated adverse reactions included pneumonitis, hepatitis, endocrinopathies, nephritis/renal dysfunction, and rash.
 
Common adverse reactions (greater than or equal to 20%) in patients receiving nivolumab plus ipilimumab were rash, pruritus, headache, vomiting, and colitis. The most frequent grade 3 and 4 laboratory abnormalities occurring in at least 5% of patients receiving the combination were increased ALT, increased AST, increased lipase, increased amylase, hyponatremia, and lymphopenia.
 
When used in combination with ipilimumab, the recommended dose and schedule is nivolumab 1 mg/kg administered as an intravenous infusion over 60 minutes, followed by ipilimumab on the same day, every 3 weeks for four doses. The recommended subsequent dose of nivolumab, as a single agent, is 3 mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 60 minutes every 2 weeks until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
 
 
Healthcare professionals should report all serious adverse events suspected to be associated with the use of any medicine and device to FDA’s MedWatch Reporting System by completing a form online at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm, by faxing (1-800-FDA-0178) or mailing the postage-paid address form provided online, or by telephone (1-800-FDA-1088).

Page Last Updated: 10/01/2015
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.
Language Assistance Available: Español | 繁體中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | Русский | العربية | Kreyòl Ayisyen | Français | Polski | Português | Italiano | Deutsch | 日本語 | فارسی | English