The resources listed below provide information on some potential contaminants in cosmetics, and their control. Under the law, cosmetics must not be harmful to consumers when used according to directions in the labeling, or in the customary or expected way.
- Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
- Lead in Cosmetics
- Microbiological Safety and Cosmetics
- Cosmetics Safety Q&A: Contaminants--Do cosmetics contain harmful contaminants, such as lead? What does FDA do to guard against them?
- Microbiological Methods for Cosmetics
- Tattoo Inks Pose Health Risks: Consumer Update
- Warning Letters Cite Cosmetics as Adulterated Due to Microbial Contamination