Indications for Use
The PatientTouch™ Blood Product Administration System is intended to:
- Assist the caregiver in assuring blood product administration patient safety by:
- Assisting phlebotomy personnel in assuring blood samples are drawn from the correct patients.
- The system prompts the caregiver to confirm that the orders to draw blood are for the correct patient.
- The system matches patient wristband bar codes to blood sample label bar codes at time of blood sample draws.
- Assisting laboratory personnel in accurate matching of blood samples with correct blood / blood products.
- The system matches blood / blood product label bar codes and bar codes on blood specimen tubes.
- Prints an accessory “bag tag” for the blood / blood product which further identifies the blood / blood product for the correct patient.
- The system prompts the blood bank professional to confirm that the information on the blood bag label matches the information that is on the blood product tag prior to attaching the blood product tag to a blood product bag
- Assisting nursing personal to administer blood / blood product to the correct patient.
- The system matches blood / blood product bag label bar codes and bag tag label bar codes to bar codes on patient wristband.
- Assists with the witnessing of blood / blood product administration by requiring a second nurse badge to be scanned at time of administration (an optional feature).
- Assist in assuring complete and accurate documentation of blood/blood product administration
- Assists the caregiver by recording the exact time of blood / blood product release from the laboratory and assists with blood expiration date tracking
- Assists the caregiver by recording the exact time of blood / blood product administration start and stop.
- Provides alerts to the caregiver to check patient and user-defined intervals during the course of blood / blood product administration and prompts the caregiver to complete required documentation.
- Prints reports listing the start, stop and duration of blood product administration on a transfusion record.
- Promote safety and efficiency in blood product pick-up process (an optional feature).
- Alerts the caregiver when blood is ready for pick-up in the blood storage area.
- Optionally prints a blood request form used to pick-up blood, which can reduce the risk of the wrong blood being obtained at the blood bank.
- Interface with the Hospital Information System and the Laboratory Information System.
- Patient data and lab orders are received and stored in the PatientTouch™ System database to prompt the healthcare personnel to complete predefined workflows.
- The PatientTouch™ System can be configured to print reports from the database. Instrument Manager is a software package intended to be used by trained laboratory personnel in a blood-banking environment as an aid in interfacing and managing data, between blood bank automated instruments and Blood Establishment Computer Software (BECS).