Animal & Veterinary
Transcript for the NARMS Scientific Meeting (July 15-16, 2010)
KEYNOTE: "---" Indicates inaudible in transcript.
“*” indicates phonetically spelled in the transcript.
July 15, 2010 - Session I: Antimicrobial Resistance Activities: FDA, CDC
- Welcome and Introductions by Patrick McDermott, M.S., Ph.D., Director, The National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System, FDA
- Antimicrobial Resistance Activities at FDA by David White, Ph.D., Director
- Antimicrobial Resistance Activities at CDC by Robert Tauxe, M.D., M.P.H., Deputy Director
- Antimicrobial Resistance Activities at ARS by Mary E. Torrence, DVM, Ph.D.
July 15, 2010 - Session II: Overview of NARMS Surveillance of Enteric Bacteria
Moderators: Patrick McDermott, FDA and Heather Green, FDA
- Overview of NARMS Surveillance of Enteric Bacteria
- NARMS Overview by Beth Karp, DVM, MPH, DACVPM
- Surveillance in Humans by Ezra Barzilay, M.D., CDC
- Surveillance in Food Animals by Paula Fedorka-Cray, Ph.D., USDA
- Surveillance in Retail Meats by Shaohua Zhao, DVM, MPVM, Ph.D., FDA
- Generation, Presentation, and Application of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Test Data for Bacteria of Animal Origin: An Update From the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) by Jeffrey Watts, Ph.D., RM(NRCM), M(ASCP)
- Session II Questions and Answers
July 15, 2010 - Session III: International Monitoring of Antimicrobial Resistance
Moderators: Ezra Barzilay, CDC and Paula Fedorka-Cray, USDA
- International Monitoring of Antimicrobial Resistance
- Integrated Surveillance Systems: Activities at the World Health Organization by Awa Aidara-Kane, Ph.D.
- Monitoring and Reporting on Antimicrobial Resistance in European Union by Pia Mäkelä, M.D.
- Office International des Épizooties, OIE by M. Kathleen Glynn, DVM, MPVM
- Latin American Pan Health Organization, PHAC by Jorge Matheu
- Canadian Integrated Program for Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance by Richard Reid-Smith, DVM, DVSc
July 15, 2010 - Session IIIb: Reports From International Programs
Moderators: Tom Chiller, CDC and Alessandra Carattoli, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Italy
- Reports from International Programs
International Programs: Korea by Gun-Jo Woo, Ph.D. Non-Typhoid Salmonella Surveillance in China by Ran Lu, China, CDC Monitoring Antimicrobial Consumption and Occurrence of Resistance in Denmark by Danilo Lo Fo Wong, M.Sc., Ph.D. Challenges of Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance in Kenya by Samuel Kariuki, M.Sc., Ph.D. WHO Activities to Build Laboratory Surveillance Around the World by Danilo Lo Fo Wong, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Surveillance in Europe, Challenges and Pitfalls by Peter Silley, M.D., DVM
Session IIIb Questions and Answers
July 15, 2010 - Session IV: Roundtable Discussion
July 16, 2010 - Session V: Molecular Epidemiology
Moderators: Shaohua Zao, D.V.M. and Maria Karlsson, Ph.D.
- Welcome Remarks by Maria Karlsson, Ph.D.
What Are We Learning From Campylobacter Molecular Epidemiology? by Collette Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
- Ceftiofur Resistance in Salmonella enterica Serovar Heidelberg From Chicken Meat and Humans by Lucie Dutil, DVM, MSc
Salmonellosis From Meat by Heather Green, Ph.D., M.S. Inc A/C Plasmids in Salmonella enterica by Rebecca Lindsey, Ph.D.
- Session V Questions and Answers
July 16, 2010 - Session VI: Molecular Biology of Resistance
Moderators: Jonathan Frye, Ph.D. and Heather Harbottle, Ph.D.
Molecular Biology of Resistance Antimicrobial Resistance Among Non-Typhi Salmonella by Maria Karlsson, Ph.D. Antimicrobial Resistance in Historical Salmonella Typhimurium Using High-Density Microarrays by Heather Harbottle, Ph.D. Characterization of blaCMY-Encoding Plasmids Among Salmonella From Humans by Jason Folster, Ph.D. Comparative Genomic Fingerprinting (CGF) as a Typing Tool by Matthew Gilmour, Ph.D. Session VI Questions and Answers Session
July 16, 2010 - Session VII: Resistance in Other Enteric Bacteria
Moderators: Brandi Limbago, CDC and Paula Fedorka-Cray, USDA
Enterococcus From Retail Meats by Johnnie David, FDA Typhi and Paratyphoidal Salmonellae by Felicita Medalla, M.D., M.S. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the United States - Is There a Connection Between Retail Foods and Human Infection? by Brandi Limbago, Ph.D. Resistance in Pathogenic E. coli from Retail Meat by Shaouha Zhao, DVM, MPVM, Ph.D.
July 16, 2010 - Session VIII: Industry Perspectives
Moderators: Jonathan Frye, USDA and Patrick McDermott, FDA
- The Pork Industry by Steve Larsen, Ph.D., National Pork Board
- The Cattle Industry by Michael Apley, DVM, Ph.D., Kansas State University
- The Poultry Industry by Timothy Cummings, DVM, M.S., B.S., Mississippi State University
- The Turkey Industry by Hector Cervantes, DVM, M.S., University of Georgia
- The Animal Health Industry by Thomas Shryock, Ph.D., Animal Health Institute
Session VIII Questions and Answers
- The Infectious Diseases Society of America by Ruth Lynfield, M.D., University of Minnesota
- Resistant Foodborne Infections and Policy - Consumer Advocate Prospective by Steve Roach
Session VIII Second Question and Answers Session