Pet Turtles and Salmonella Lesson Plan
Pet turtles are a common source of Salmonella
Content (Key Words)
Salmonella, turtles, who is at risk, preventive steps, symptoms
Goals (What You Want to Teach)
- Discuss the risk of catching Salmonella from turtles.
- Describe Salmonella and the symptoms of Salmonella poisoning.
- Identify who are most at risk.
- Practice precautions to prevent Salmonella contamination.
Objectives (Learning Outcomes of Activities)
- Students will be able to describe how Salmonella is transferred from turtles to humans.
- Students will be able to list the symptoms of Salmonella poisoning.
- Students will be able to describe who is at risk the most.
- Students will be able to list precautions to prevent Salmonella contamination.
- Post the poster in the classroom where everyone can see it.
Pet Turtles: A Common Source of Salmonella (poster)
- Give each student a copy of the brochure
Pet Turtles: A Source of Germs (brochure)
- Pre-test to gauge existing knowledge of subject
- Salmonella, You and the Turtle Connection Test
- Classroom lecture using reference material
- Salmonella, You and the Turtle Connection Classroom Lecture
- Assessment (What Was Retained)
- True/False and multiple choice quiz (same test as pre-test)