Buenos Aires, Argentina
- The University of Buenos Aires (Universidad de Buenos Aires, or UBA) celebrated its 190th anniversary in August 2011. The university was founded on August 12, 1821, by Bernardino Rivadavia, the minister of government to Buenos Aires governor Martín Rodríguez. Rivadavia went on to become Argentina’s first president, serving from February 8, 1826, to July 7, 1827.
- UBA is the largest university in Argentina, and with over 300,000 students, it’s also the largest university by enrollment in Latin America.
- The Faculty of Veterinary Science (Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias) is one of the university’s 13 faculties.
- In early 1900, a rumored outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in a southern Buenos Aires province spotlighted the deficiencies of Argentina’s public health laws as well as the importance of veterinarians. This prompted the opening of the Higher Institute of Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine on September 25, 1904. The first class of students, which included more than 30 veterinarians, graduated in 1908. The school joined UBA in 1909. In its early years, most of the school’s faculty members were from Europe, especially Italy and Germany. Dr. Joaquín Zabala was the first Argentine on the faculty, and is considered the “father of Argentine veterinarians.”
- Due in part to student protests in the 1970s, the Argentine government passed a law on October 23, 1972, separating the schools of agronomy and veterinary medicine. On January 1, 1973, the separation took effect, and the veterinary school became the Faculty of Veterinary Science.