Purpose: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is planning five meetings to provide an opportunity for public dialogue and feedback on challenges faced by the animal agriculture industry and practicing veterinarians as FDA implements its initiative for the judicious use of medically important antimicrobials in medicated feed or drinking water of food-producing animals. Particular emphasis will be placed on challenges faced by animal producers in areas that may lack access to adequate veterinary services.
The dates and locations for the meetings are:
- April 9, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Western Kentucky University–Carroll Knicely Conference Center (Auditorium rm. 138), 2355 Nashville Rd., Bowling Green, KY 42101; 270–745–1908; FAX: 270–745–1911; http://www.wku.edu/.
- April 23, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Evergreen State College (Library 4300), 2700 Evergreen Pkwy. NW., Olympia WA 98505; 360–867–6192 or 6000; http://www.evergreen.edu/home.htm.
- May 8, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., The Natural Resource Research Center, USDA Animal and Plant Health & Inspection Service, Veterinary Services, Centers for Epidemiology & Animal Health, 2150 Centre Ave. (Building B, Gray’s Peak Conference Rooms A & B), Fort Collins, CO 80526–8117; 970–494–7200; FAX: 970–472–2668; http://www.aphis.usda.gov/about_aphis/programs_offices/veterinary_services/ceah.shtml.
- May 21, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Best Western Ramkota Hotel & Conference Center (Amphitheater II), 920 West Sioux Ave., Pierre, SD 57501; 605–224–6877; FAX: 605–224–1042; http://pierre.bwramkota.com/.
- June 4, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Texas A&M University (Memorial Student Center, rm. 2406A), Joe Routt Boulevard and Houston Street, College Station, TX 77840; 979–845–8904; FAX: 979–845–2519; http://www.tamu.edu/.
8:30 a.m. - 8:40 a.m.
8:40 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
Overview of FDA’s Strategy on Antimicrobial Resistance
Availability of Food Animal Veterinarians in the US
Veterinarians and Antimicrobial Use
9:25 a.m. - 9:35 a.m.
Q&A on Presentations
9:35 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
9:45 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Open Public Comment Period
Interested persons may make oral presentations on the meeting topic
11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Focused Discussion Period
Receive stakeholder input, with focus on the following 3 areas:
- Current access/use of vet services
- Expected effect of increased vet oversight
- Practical approaches for managing this change
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Summary of Feedback