Animal & Veterinary
Meet the Office of Foods
By Gail O’Neill, Contributing Writer, Communications, and Dr. Melanie McLean, Senior Writer/Editor, Communications
- the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN);
- the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM); and
- the foods-related activities of the Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA).
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR); and
- Office of Commissioner (OC) staff offices.
- the recommendations of the President’s Food Safety Working Group; and
- any new food safety authorities that Congress may create.
On February 26, 2010, Taylor and Dr. Jeffrey Farrar, Associate Commissioner for Food Protection in OF and also a member of the FDA Foods Program Executive Leadership Team, visited CVM’s Office of Research (OR) to learn about food safety-related research OR is conducting. On March 17, 2010, Taylor again visited CVM for an All-Hands meeting to discuss OF’s efforts to develop, coordinate, and implement the FDA Foods Program.
On June 28, 2010, Taylor announced the appointment of Philip Derfler as Associate Commissioner for Foods Policy in OF. This position was created to further strengthen the FDA Foods Program. Derfler, a lawyer, comes to OF from USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. He previously worked in FDA’s Office of Chief Counsel. Welcome back to FDA, Phil!
For more information about OF and the FDA Foods Program, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OC/OfficeofFoods/default.htm.