• Decrease font size
  • Return font size to normal
  • Increase font size
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Animal & Veterinary

  • Print
  • Share
  • E-mail

Ask CVM - September/October 2003

FDA Veterinarian Newsletter September/October 2003 Volume XVIII, No 5

The CVM Home Page receives quite a bit of mail. The questions and answers featured here are composites of multiple questions the Home Page has received on the same topic. If you would like to send a question to the CVM Home Page and select “contact CVM” or write us directly at CVMHomeP@cvm.fda.gov.

I would like to find out where I can get access to what human drugs can be given to dogs and how many milligrams per kilogram for dosing.

Please be advised that human drugs should NEVER be given to pets except under the direction of a veterinarian. While many human drugs are used in companion animal medicine, many of the drugs that humans take can be extremely toxic to our pets (one example is Tylenol, which can be fatal to cats).

Animals may metabolize these drugs differently than humans so it is imperative you consult with your veterinarian.

Are there any drugs/medication that can be given to a dog to halt or reduce their urge to bark?

CVM does not practice veterinary medicine or answer questions related to individual pet care. Your veterinarian is your best source of information for any treatments for your pet. There are medications available that are used in combination with behavior modification to treat separation anxiety in dogs. Your veterinarian can provide information on these treatments.

I am trying to find the correct department to get forms enabling us to keep drugs on site at a new city animal shelter that is currently under construction.

FDA does not register animal care facilities for drug distribution purposes. I suggest you contact your State Board of Pharmacy. If controlled substances are involved, you will also need to contact the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

If I manufactured ear drops for dogs do they need to have FDA approval?

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act defines drugs as any articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or other animals; and articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals.

If the ear drops you manufacture are intended for any of these uses, they would need to be the subject of an approved new animal drug application. For information about the new animal drug approval process click here.

Can I import dog food from the UK to the USA for my own private use or would I require some kind of import license?

You can find information about importing animal feed on our web site, and htttp://www.fda.gov/ora/import/ora_import_system.html. Please be advised that you will not be able to import foods that contain bovine tissue (beef or dairy cattle) from the UK into the U.S. because there is an import alert on these products because of the presence of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in the UK. The Pet Food Institute may be able to put you in touch with a manufacturer in the U.S. that uses a similar formulation to what your dogs are accustomed to.