• Decrease font size
  • Return font size to normal
  • Increase font size
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Animal & Veterinary

  • Print
  • Share
  • E-mail

Transitional Medicated Feed Mill Licenses Will Expire Soon

January 28, 1998

CVM officials are sending out more than 400 letters to feed manufacturers reminding them that after April 9, 1998, they can no longer manufacture and distribute any feed that contains drugs requiring an approved Medicated Feed Mill License unless they have obtained an approved permanent medicated feed mill license.

The Animal Drug Availability Act (ADAA) of 1996 eliminated the need for feed manufacturers to have multiple Medicated Feed Applications (MFAs) by allowing them instead to obtain a single license for their facility. The intent of this change was to reduce the paperwork imposed on manufacturers of medicated feed and FDA, while maintaining sufficient safeguards for the manufacture of medicated feed. When ADAA was enacted (October 9, 1996), holders of MFAs were granted transitional licenses. These transitional licenses will expire on April 9, 1998.

Transitional license holders who wish to continue as licensed firms must submit and obtain approval of a permanent Medicated Feed License Application (Form FDA 3448) no later than April 9, 1998. More than one-fourth of the firms that previously held MFAs have not yet requested a permanent license.

Firms may obtain a copy of Form FDA 3448 [ed. note: pdf version] from CVM's Home Page or by calling or writing CVM's Division of Animal Feeds, Medicated Feeds Team, 7500 Standish Place, Rockville, MD 20855, 301-594-1731.


Contact FDA

240-276-9115 FAX
Issued by: FDA, Center for Veterinary Medicine

Communications Staff, HFV-12

7519 Standish Place

Rockville, MD 20855