Veterinary Feed Directive Requirements for:
- Veterinary Students
- Distributors that manufacture feed and those that don’t manufacture feed
Please check CVM’s:
- Veterinary Feed Directive webpage
- Safe Feed webpage
- Judicious Use webpage
- Animal drug approved applications affected by the GFI # 213/209 OTC to VFD (or Rx) transition expected to occur in December of 2016.
- Blue Bird Labels
- Ways to search for specific drug approvals:
- http://www.fda.gov - Lower left, under regulatory information, click Code of Federal regulations. In the Search Database window enter the active ingredient.
- Animal Drugs@FDA - Another way to search: http://www.fda.gov, click, animal & veterinary, upper right “animal drugs” upper right, “Animal Drugs@FDA” enter ingredient, species of interest, etc.
- Veterinary Feed Directive Rule: Effective 1 October 2015; 80 FR 31708
- Statute: Animal Drug Availability Act of 1996 - PL 104-250 (Oct. 9, 1996)
- # 120: FINAL: Veterinary Feed Directive Regulation Questions and Answers
- # 152: Evaluating the Safety of Antimicrobial New Animal Drugs with Regard to Their Microbiological Effects on Bacteria of Human Health Concern
- # 181: Guidance for Industry Blue Bird Medicated Feed Labels
- # 209: The Judicious Use of Medically Important Antimicrobial Drugs in Food-Producing Animals
- # 213: New Animal Drugs and New Animal Drug Combination Products Administered in or on Medicated Feed or Drinking Water of Food-Producing Animals: Recommendations for Drug Sponsors for Voluntarily Aligning Product Use Conditions with GFI #209