Records Management Specialist
Description of Duties
- Leads the development of a Records Management Program Action Plan to implement a modern records management program for the paper and electronic records of CDER, that enables efficient operations, intelligent decision making and targeted business process strategies. Partner with FDA’s Records Management Lead and proactively work with legal counsel to ensure that new policies and procedures meet government accountability, protect the interests of the public, and mitigate records-related litigation risks.
- Establishes and lead Records Management Steering Council to discuss business strategies, objectives and adoption of standards to execute data strategy. Establishes a comprehensive Records Management Program responsive to current and future needs; analyzes and researches current and projected data and information capabilities and requirements.
- Performs analytical and technical work involved in the various phases of the records lifecycle; creation/collection, storage, maintenance/management, disposal/transfer, in order to develop long-range objectives and milestones for operational approaches to managing electronic information.
- Manages the day to day operations for the tactical implementation of record management policies and ensures data integrity, availability, and governance; as well as manages associated budgeting and planning
- Interprets government wide policies and establishes project implementation plans for CDER, such as methods of identification, location, collection and retention records.
- Manages records information lifecycle and participates in developing CDER’s record management practices and processes that are aligned with presidential mandates and records management guidelines, policies and objectives.
- Stays abreast of new systems technology that will improve Records Information Management (RIM) processes and participates in designing systems and tools and/or enhancements to RM tools.
- Assesses the need for and oversees the delivery of training programs designed to educate employees on records and information management policies and procedures. Utilizes standard RIM training and oversees delivery to employees. Training includes RIM policies, practices, process, procedures, system/tool use, etc. Ensures tracking of employee RIM training completion, ensures understanding.
- Ensures applicable records management and retention schedules are updated, centralized and easily accessible to all employees.
- Oversees RIM records inventory, using a standardized template and procedure.
- Determines most efficient means to locate and collect records of various forms and how to convert current media to desired form.
- Provides guidance and leadership to senior leaders regarding RIM policy. Identifies issues and recommends actions/resolutions to gaps and risks in current state.
- Ensures compliance with all RIM policies regarding storage and vendor management.
- Regularly meets with key stakeholders to report on records management project and compliance metrics. Continually assess needs develop alternatives and solutions.