Operations Research Analyst
Description of Duties
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative studies to design, install, and improve management planning systems, organizational development, strategic planning, survey and decision models.
- Develop and analyze innovative computer-based applications for the management of work load and regulatory data.
- Participate in operations research studies that require the design, adaptation, and application of mathematical and statistical approaches to the evaluation of problems.
- Examine a variety of methods, techniques, and processes and recommend those suitable for producing explicit findings and evaluations.
- Prepare technical documents and reports governing the methods of data analysis, test conditions and measures of effectiveness.
Qualifications - Basic qualifications required for all grades in this position include:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
To qualify for positions above entrance level (GS-5), candidates must have professional pharmacy experience or directly related advanced education. The experience or education required depends on the grade level and specific duties of the position.
Grade (Salary) Level
Federal General Schedule (GS) grade levels at which operations research analyst positions are commonly filled are:
- GS-11 through 14 at the headquarters and field levels
Note: Higher-grade levels in both headquarters and field offices are available based on peer review of individual accomplishments or supervisory responsibilities.
Higher graded positions are directly related to additional education and/or specialized experience.
Operations Research Analysts are located at HQ (suburban Washington, D.C.) and in facilities throughout the U.S.