Status Candidates - https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/444804800
All United States Citizens - https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/444913600
Description of Duties
- Serves as a subject matter specialist in the evaluation of drug manufacturing and compounding facilities.
- Drafts responses to correspondence from within and outside the agency concerning FDA regulated products.
- Interacts with internal and external stakeholders and the general public regarding a range of consumer and medical product safety and availability issues.
- Evaluates medical product facility compliance issues under applicable CGMP regulations and other legal requirements, and participate in formulating new regulations, procedures and programs with national and international impact.
- Adapts and applies investigative methods and negotiating techniques to conduct inspections and investigations of manufacturers and operations.
Basic qualifications required for all grades in this position include:
- A full course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree, including 30 semester hours in one or a combination of biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provide knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work
- Or 30 semester hours of course work as described above plus appropriate experience or additional education. The required 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics or course work that includes the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming. To qualify for higher-graded positions, candidates must have additional amounts of either specialized experience or directly related education.
Grade (Salary) Level
Federal General Schedule (GS) grade levels at which medical officer positions are commonly filled are:
- GS-11 through 13 at the headquarters level
- GS-5 through 11 at the field level
Note: Higher-grade levels in both headquarters and field offices are available based on peer review of individual accomplishments or supervisory responsibilities.
Higher graded positions are directly related to additional education and/or specialized experience.
Consumer Safety Officers are located at HQ (suburban Washington, D.C.) and in facilities throughout the U.S.